CLASSROOM EMERGENCY PROCEDURES – ROCKLIN CAMPUS
Faculty members are
responsible for the safety and well-being of students during scheduled
instructional activities. It is expected
that each semester, faculty will notify their students of
If an emergency occurs in the immediate area, faculty should to contact Police Services at Extension 1111 from any on-campus phone or emergency phone or 624-3333 (and press 1 - 1111) from an outside line.
In the event of a campus emergency, lines of authority may change. Faculty will be expected to follow the direction of those who have been placed in charge of specific functions relating to the emergency. Faculty will be contacted as appropriate regarding the situation and given instructions on further actions needed.
IMPORTANCE OF ATTENDANCE DOCUMENTATION
In the event of an emergency, it is vital to be able to account for the whereabouts of all students, faculty, and staff. Faculty who take attendance, should keep rosters with them and turn them over to the appropriate authority upon demand. Faculty who do not regularly take attendance, should work with students to develop a buddy system or some other method of accounting for all of the students in the section.
FIRST CLASS MEETING
1) Review emergency exits for the room and building.
2) Review location of nearest emergency phone.
3) Identify building evacuation gathering point(s).
4) Notify students that if more than one building is being evacuated the primary gathering point is the theatre, with the gym as the backup location if the theatre is not available.
5) Develop a “buddy” system or other method for attendance accounting.
6) Review the actions to be taken in the event of an evacuation.
7) Review the actions to be taken in the event of a lockdown or shelter in place.
8) Notify students that backpacks and other personal belongings are to be kept with them at all times. Backpacks left unattended pose a risk and may be confiscated or destroyed.
IN THE EVENT OF AN EVACUATION ALARM OR COMMAND:
1) Instruct students to gather personal belongings.
2) Proceed with class to the established gathering point.
3) Report to the emergency staff assigned to supervise the gathering point.
4) Wait with class at the gathering point until given further instructions by the appropriate emergency personnel.
IN THE EVENT OF A COMMAND TO LOCK DOWN:
1) Close all doors and lock, if possible.
2) Close all blinds and drapes.
3) Turn off any unnecessary equipment.
4) Keep everyone away from all windows.
5) Instruct students to remain as quiet as possible.
6) Do not allow anyone to leave until notified by emergency personnel.
7) Ask students to turn cell phones off to free up frequencies for emergency personnel.
THE EVENT OF A COMMAND TO CREATE
Follow all steps identified for a lock down. Additionally, ensure that all ventilation is either closed or shut down.